Thursday, June 23, 2011

Why Obama should Come Out of the Closet

Yo Pres-


I get it. You can't just come out and say the words "I support gay marriage"- even though you essentially said it back in Chicago over a decade ago. For now, we have to wait until your opinions on the matter "evolve." You expect us to understand that you need to get re-elected before it's safe enough to fight for us. First, you want our money and our support - THEN you'll step in the ring. Wink, wink. Scratch, scratch.


Back in 2008, I looked around and all I saw was a sea of slimy spineless politicians. I thought you were different. You were doing the yes-we-can-can, mopping the floor with McCain, brushin' your shoulders off, and pretty much just shitting inspiration everywhere you went. Not only did you have a spine - you had balls, and I (a lesbian) liked that (for a change). So I voted for your ass. Now I just feel like I have to vote for your ass again since no one better has come along. And you're counting on that, you sly little fox.


A small part of me feels sorry for you. It can't be easy or comfortable to go to sleep every night on a tightrope. It can't be easy sitting up there on that tiny fence.


A large part of me is rolling my eyes at you. Let me break down each side of that fence for you, dummy. One side is overflowing with people who not only believe that "God hates fags", but also believe that this is a sound political argument. They may not all be shouting it on the street corner, but to varying degrees, that's their position. Oh yeah- most of them hate your guts. On the other side of the fence stand a whole bunch of people who just want to be given equal treatment & protection under the law (and yes, even the terminology needs to be equal, not separate). These people understand the beauty of religion but also recognize the dangers of using it as a political weapon. These are my peeps, and they're your peeps too. No matter what you do (cough, like kill Osama bin Laden) those other kids are never gonna think you're cool. Stop agreeing to buy them beer.


which side of the fence are you on?


Another little part of me is...well, it's my middle finger. Tonight at your fundraiser in

NYC, you said "New York is doing exactly what democracies are supposed to do. There's a debate; there's a deliberation about what it means here in New York to treat people fairly in the eyes of the law." You are essentially saying you KNOW as the leader of our country that allowing same-sex marriages would be considered fair treatment in the eyes of the law, but whew, good thing they're voting on it so you don't have to take an official stance! Are you mental? Get the net! If you KNOW this, then SAY you know this! We want the first black president, not the umpteenth yellow one! I voted for Yes-We-Can, not I-Might-Try

You could learn a thing a two about courage from the LGBTQ community! It's not easy being honest with yourself but it always pays off and you know it gets better. Come down off that fence, step out of that political closet, speak your heart, stop trying to be all things to everyone and start being true to yourself. Winning an election is not worth losing yourself.


tell me we wouldn't be the most kick-ass married couple in the world


2 comments:

  1. of course we would be. I love you and this and all your other words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your such a gud writur. ;)

    ReplyDelete