Friday, February 5, 2010

Day 20- Why the HRC



The way I express my truth is kind of unusual by most people's standards. I feel more comfortable writing my truth than saying it for two reasons. One- written words come out of a very organic place for me and I decided a long time ago that I would never censor them. Two- usually my writing is semi-cleverly disguised in some metaphor. You can only discover my truth if you care to be analytical. Not everyone does, which protects me from the idiots, so to speak.

Now I know once I click "upload", my written words (via song/poem/blog/etc) become available for all the world to see. But for some reason it doesn't matter to me. When I come up with these words, it's just me alone with myself. So why would I hide anything? I guess I also get the feeling that the handful of people who actually care to watch/read what I post genuinely care about me and would want me to be honest with them. With that said, I believe it is important for people to be able to express their own truth in whatever manner they choose, and feel safe in doing so. That is why I've chosen the HRC (Human Rights Campaign) and as a recipient of one third of my GULP savings.

About the HRC: "As the largest national lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender civil rights organization, HRC envisions an America where LGBT people are ensured of their basic equal rights, and can be open, honest and safe at home, at work and in the community."

I was raised with the impression that it was a sin to be homosexual. One of my cousins is a lesbian, so you can imagine this made for some awkward family get-togethers. As I grew up and started developing my own thoughts and beliefs, it just seemed silly to me that God would punish someone for being in love with someone else. And it also seemed silly to me that you could control who you were attracted to on a physical level. That's just straight up science, homie. So I decided for myself that it is NOT a sin to be homosexual.

Two important things. 1) the above statements are my opinion and everyone knows those are like belly buttons 2) the above statements are rooted in religion. So riddle me this, batman. Why are LGBT civil rights issues being mixed up in perspective and religion? People are people, no matter what. Equal rights are equal rights, no matter what. If I am allowed to do certain things in this country, other people (who pay taxes and avoid a life of crime) should be able to do those exact things. Period. Yay America.

Now, as I navigate through my own identity issues, I'm starting to realize on a very personal level that being true to who you are is more important that coming up with a label for it. That is why I appreciate the HRC's fight for LGBT equal rights, and their help in creating an environment where people feel safe enough to be true to themselves.

1 comment:

  1. i like the new song and i love you.


    plus, i can totally hear gregory page singing that second verse....or maybe rusty jones?

    ReplyDelete