Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 11- All aboard

For those of you following my journey, I finally ate my salad today and it was delicious. I loved every bite. Except I wonder why they put that crabgrass-y stuff in mixed greens. No one wants to eat that.

Today I woke up to a lovely message in my inbox, a message of encouragement and support. In fact, I've received several emails and messages from friends in the last 11 days that really do help keep me going. I think it's safe to say that my GULP experiment is coinciding with a larger personal journey. And I think it's safe to say that other people are helping me along on this journey. I'm thankful for that, and I'm thankful that my sister talked me into doing this project because it has been a great way to prepare myself for said journey. It is providing me some much-needed clarity and awareness. By getting rid of my go-to distractions, I am able to look more honestly at my situation. It's like washing that gross filmy stuff off your bathroom mirror and saying, Oh...that's what I really look like.

Today was a little bit more progress. Not anything to really rah rah rah about, but progress nonetheless. We all know by now that I am not a poster child for positivity, but I actively attempted to re-route any negative thoughts and actions. Whenever I felt myself dwelling on something that made me feel pain, I recognized it and switched gears until the negative feeling was forgotten. I know the next step is replacing these thoughts with positive thoughts. I'm not gonna lie, this is pretty exhausting for me. I have spent years perfecting the pity party. I know it will take time to fully get on board the peace train. BUT I feel like I'm finally ready to buy my ticket.

I'll close with a personal note to my sister, who had a bad day today. Haley White, you are a beautiful, talented, magnificent person and my heart is bursting with love for you. Someday everything's gonna be different when you paint your masterpiece. (And I promise I'll be there with you) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment