Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 4- Stopping the leaks

I said when I started this I wanted to learn about myself and about others. Here's a tidbit for each.

What I've learned about myself:
Today, I felt like one of those cartoon characters in a boat that's sprung a bunch of leaks. I have corked up the the shopping, swearing, drinking, fast food holes, but when I wasn't paying attention, the chocolate leak got worse. I'm finding out that certain pleasures and/or vices that I didn't give up as part of my GULP plan are starting to become more present. Time to nip that in the bud. No more chocolate or candy as of today. I don't really think I'll save a ton of money on this one since it's always just lying around the office, but I've found myself woofing down entire bags of M&Ms lately, and I think it's just so my mouth will be full enough not to swear, ya dig? And don't worry, I'm not trying to punish myself, but the whole point of this thing is to appreciate life's pleasures and reflect on them. I'm going to chill on the sweet tooth for a while just to make sure I'm not using it as a crutch to get me through the rest of this experience.

What I've learned about others:
My friends in the SD Music scene just flat out rock. I had a great time at Desi n' Friends last night. My girl Cathryn Beeks from ListenLocalSD puts on this "Game" there where we all write a song to the same title. This month's title was "Used to Be." As you can imagine, some of these songs were about lost love, and one of them made me just bawl, given all that's gone on lately in my life. (Shout out to songwriter Ken Lehnig for writing such amazing words...he said making someone cry is like "songwriter gold" which made me laugh cause I know it's true.) But anyway, I was lucky to be surrounded by people who didn't think I was an absolute freak for being so emotional. So I just want to say thanks to all my peeps who are down with ListenLocalSD, and who are down with me too. Thanks to Rob Deez for spitting a sick rap on my song. Thanks to Allegra for the hugs. And a big, fat thanks to Cathryn who was generous enough to donate her cut of my BareBack gigs this month to my GULP project. I love San Diego.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Cathryn is awesome. She doesn't get paid near enough for all she does for the S.D. music scene, and then to donate to your GULPING. Give that lady a hug from me next time you see her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but one of the by-products of this effort seems to be a closer, more direct connection to your music. Or maybe just ignoring any hesitation you may have had in performing them.

    I say this because I've noticed a marked increase of passion in your performance recently.

    Your lyrics have always been personal, very deeply at times. Your delivery has been great, yet kind of reserved.

    I get the idea that, maybe do to focusing on yourself and the goals you've set for yourself, you've gained a new perspective, a new attitude toward performing.

    Whatever it is...it's great! That's why I've been so impressed by the last couple of times I've heard you. When a performer is really connected to what they're playing, audiences can "get" that and make their own connection...and that's why Ken's song moved you so much. The words were a lot of it, but the sincerity, the simple truth of his performance, brought it home.

    Just sayin'.
    >Dave<

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when people say nice things about my sister. Especially when I agree with them. Which I usually do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, i'm quite raw these days. hurts my heart a little bit to perform these songs but i appreciate that the songs are more "real" to the audience as a result. i love you dave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wait till my article gets posted! It's sure to bring a smile to your face.

    ReplyDelete