Friday, January 29, 2010

Day 13- Friday the 13th day of GULPing

I'm about 30 minutes away from another weekend of GULP. Weekends are the hardest because that's the time to relax and for me, relaxing usually involves some alcohol.

I think one of the awesome benefits of GULP is re-learning how to savour the things that bring you pleasure. When this project concludes and I am "allowed" to enjoy things like eating out, sweets, alcohol, shopping, etc., you can bet your arse I'm going to REALLY enjoy it. But not in excess. Cravings haven't been too bad thus far, but when I do get a craving, it is specifically for a BITE of chocolate or ONE really good beer. I guess pleasure in excess becomes a vice. When I would overeat or binge drink or compulsively shop, it was usually because I was trying to fill up that ever-present void I've been talking about so much. When this happens, you lose focus on what makes these things so pleasurable in the first place. It's been awhile since I've really savoured anything, and I'm excited to start.

On another note, I weighed myslef a couple days ago. 146 lbs. The lowest I've ever weighed since I was a teenager. When I joined Weight Watchers in January of 2009, I was 168lbs, the most I've ever weighed. I struggled for months trying to get to my goal weight of 147 lbs, but always teetered around 155lbs. I did learn a lot from the program, but I eventually cancelled my membership because I didn't want to pay for it. And here I am. 146 lbs. I know part of it is resulting from last December when I was so depressed I ate practically nothing. And I know part of it is resulting from these restrictions I've placed on my diet. But I'm not starving or anything. I eat at least three meals a day. I listen to my body. I feed it when it's hungry. I stop eating when I am getting full. I don't turn to food when I need to recognize a certain emotion. What a novel idea. Next up, exercise. =)

Off to go watch a high school girls basketball game with some friends! Looking forward to a fun-filled weekend! Tomorrow is half-way day...let's chat then.

No comments:

Post a Comment