Friday, January 15, 2010

GULP- the socially conscious new year's resolution

My sister approached me yesterday with the suggestion of participating together in this social experiment called GULP (Giving Up Life's Pleasures). The idea behind the project is for individuals to give up something that they would normally spend money on wastefully and then use their savings to donate to a worthy cause. By the way, we learned about it from this chick's blog: racheletto.blogspot.com.

I start on Sunday, so it is my goal over the next two days to think about what kinds of things I wastefully spend money on, what kinds of things I can challenge myself to live without, and what cause I would like to donate my savings toward. Feel free to join Haley and I in our quest.

So far, I am leaning toward cutting out all fast food/eating out, alcohol, and clothes/shoe shopping. These seem to be the things I spend most of my extra cash on while hopping around town from show to show, and of course while trying to look sassy. It will be really challenging since I hate even being in a kitchen and since I love being in awesome spiky heels.

As for where the money I save will go, I'm thinking of the following options, but not sure yet. It won't be much, but every little bit helps.
Alzheimer's Association
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Human Rights Campaign

What do I want out of this? I hope to learn about myself. I hope to learn about other people. I hope to have a new experience to share with my sister. I hope to help out a meaningful cause in a small but important way. I hope you join me, if not by participating, by reading my blog and sharing your thoughts and support. Thanks y'all. See ya on day 1.
We shall see how it goes...wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment